Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies
Innovations and Tensions
Italian Cinema and Media in a Global World
The American University of Rome
9-10 June 2017
Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies, published by Intellect Ltd. since 2012, is a peer-reviewed triannual journal. JICMS is the leading English-language forum for theoretical, methodological and critical debate on Italian film and media production, reception and consumption. It provides a platform for dialogue between academics, filmmakers, cinema, and media professionals. Within the realm of a trans-cultural debate, the purpose of JICMS is to refer to Italy as the unifying geo-cultural site for a contemporary discussion of translocal cinema. The journal aims to elaborate a multifaceted definition of Italian cinema, shifting the critical paradigm outside the inwardly focused field of Italian film studies and exploring how Italian cinema and media expand beyond the boundaries of their (pen)insularity. The journal also intends to explore the hybridization of film and media as well as the permeability and versatility of new media.
In 2017, JICMS celebrates its 5th anniversary (2012-2017) with an international conference. This conference will provide a forum for developing innovative directions for the journal. We will exchange ideas about trans-national approaches to Italian cinema and media and foster debate on the role of Italian cinema and media in the complex tapestry of global societies in the twenty-first century.
With this CFP, the conference organizers invite proposals for single papers, pre-constituted panels and roundtables that would identify innovations and tensions shaping contemporary Italian cinema and media productions in a global world.
Professor Milly Buonanno, La Sapienza University
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
* Italian cinema and international co-productions
* LGBTQ cinema
* Borderlands and the changing geographies of liminal spaces
* Filmmakers of diverse ethnic, religious, national background
* Diasporic and accented filmmakers/filmmaking
* Digital diaspora and electronic migrant communities
* Digitalized cultures for participating, citizenship, and intercultural communication
* Postcoloniality in various media
* Digital cinema
* Italian film festivals in the world
* Television serial narratives
* Presence-absence of Italians of various ethnic background in the media
* Web series
* New media and intermediality
* Networked activism
* Transmedia and social activism
* Transmedia narratives and productions in film and television
* Subtitling and dubbing
* How or if Italy is rethinking or renegotiating its situation in the EU
* Who owns/controls the media in Italy, and what are the ramifications of this political economy of the media
* Future Memories: Anniversaries of Cinema and Media Institutions
Please send an abstract of 250 words plus a short bio of 100 words for single papers, or 350 words with individual titles and bios for pre-constituted panels or roundtables in Italian or in English in a word.doc format, no pdf. We invite proposals for 20-minute presentations (inclusive of film clips). We welcome presentations using both conventional tools and video-essay commentaries.
The languages of the conference are English and Italian
Abstracts for consideration should be submitted to the conference organizer Flavia Laviosa at email@example.com
The deadline for the submission of abstracts is 15 October 2016 Notification of acceptance of abstracts will be sent out to authors by 15 December 2016
Participants will receive a complimentary copy of JICMS, generously offered by Intellect.
Selected papers will be considered for publication for a special edited volume or issues of JICMS.
This conference is organized by Flavia Laviosa (Wellesley College) in collaboration with Catherine Ramsey Portolano (The American University of Rome) and co-sponsored by The American University of Rome, Wellesley College, and Intellect.
A guided visit to the Cinecittà Studios will be offered on Thursday June 8th: 20 euro
A choice of two tours will be offered on Sunday June 11th
1) Southern Lazio: Ninfa, Valvisciolo and Sermoneta: 60 euro
2) Bomarzo and Viterbo: 60 euro