De Montfort University’s Cinema and Television History Institute is supporting an initiative to identify, safeguard and catalogue the film and TV collections of private collectors, which will be launched at an event at Leicester’s Phoenix Cinema on Sunday 29th October.
The Film is Fabulous! programme will include:
- An exclusive screening of filmmaker Rob Murphy’s documentary about the change from celluloid to digital cinema and the loss of film treasures, entitled ‘Splice Here: A Projected Odyssey’.
- Special guests from film and television, with expert knowledge of film collections and preservation including Sue Malden (British Entertainment History Project), Clare Watson (Media Archive of Central England), Steve Roberts (BBC), Jo Botting and Steve Foxon (BFI).
- Discussions on the archiving of film, missing television episodes and digital cinema projection.
- Screenings of 35mm and Super 8 films, including the largest projected image of Super 8 in Britain.
- Film dealers offering a wide selection of formats and titles, plus Bring and Buy tables for attendees.