SCIENCE FICTIONS, POPULAR CULTURES
devoted to cross-disciplinary, cross-genre, and cross-media scholarship
SCIENCE FICTIONS, POPULAR CULTURES is a scholarly, academic conference which runs in conjunction with HawaiiCon (September 13-16, 2018) at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows on the western coast of the Big Island of Hawai’i.
SCIENCE FICTIONS, POPULAR CULTURES seeks to both defy and redefine how the academy views science fiction and popular culture—and the research, scholarship and creative endeavors of those working across these fields. A formal, academic conference proceedings is being published in conjunction with the event.
SCIENCE FICTIONS, POPULAR CULTURES is soliciting 20-minute academic presentations from a wide spectrum of disciplines addressing the narratives and performances of science, science fiction, and popular entertainment across media, platforms, and cultures. As scholars, we create intersections with public programming at HawaiiCon which leverages the intellectual engagement audiences bring to their enthusiastic appreciation and deep knowledge of pop culture.
Possible topics include but are not limited to:
- World-building in genres & across media
- Science in/of Science Fiction
- Universe creation (Cosmos to Marvel)
- Teaching of/with Popular Culture & Science Fiction (across disciplines)
- STEM, STEAM, and Science Fiction
- Translating/Adapting Science Fiction across media and cultures
- Interdisciplinary Science Fictions
- Popular interpretations and implications of Science Fictions
- Cultures of Science Fictions
- Cultures of Science Fiction fandom
- Performing Science/Science Fiction (live and mediated)
- Playing Science/Science Fiction (cosplay, games, gaming)
Please submit a 200-300 word abstract of your presentation, plus a 100 word bio to SFPC conference co-chair Carrie J. Cole, using the online form at http://www.caperteam.com/sfpc/. Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis; submit early to ensure best opportunity for acceptance.
Accepted presenters may also be invited to participate in HawaiiCon public panels. Attendance to the entirety of the larger HawaiiCon conference is included with the SFPC registration fee, as well as a copy of the published peer-reviewed, academic proceedings.