University of East Anglia invites proposals for An International Symposium on Media and the Middle East. The symposium aims to bring together scholars, and filmmakers from around the world interested in exploring ideas of Resistance and Activism in the Middle East in relation to a range of media including film, television, radio, video, and digital media. Papers may be historical or contemporary in scope.
The event will begin with a film screening of For Sama (Waad Al-Kateab, 2019) at Cinema City Norwich on Friday March 6, 2020. A symposium filled with panel discussions, short film screenings and a keynote by Dr Saeed Talajooy (University of St Andrews) will follow the next day on Saturday March 7, 2020.
Potential topics include, but are not limited to:
- Feminism and gender politics in Middle Eastern media
- Art and activism in the Middle East
- Political and social resistance in Middle Eastern Media
- Revolution and uprising in media from the Middle East
- Censorship and constraints in Middle Eastern Cinema
- Political and social movements in a digital age
- Creative media/film projects on and about the Middle East
- Short films and excerpts from the Middle East
Please send abstracts of 250 words together with a short (max 100 words) biography to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday December 2, 2019. We will notify applicants by Monday December 16, 2019.
This event is organized by Professor Eylem Atakav, Zahra Khosroshahi, Khaldoun Shami and Dr Burcu Dabak Ozdemir (Yasar University), and supported by the Faculty of Arts & Humanities Engagement Fund and the Interdisciplinary Institute for the Humanities from the University of East Anglia.