CALL FOR PAPERS: Fashion, Costume and Visual Cultures Conference (#FCVC2018), University of Zagreb, Croatia, 17-19 July 2018
- Pamela Church Gibson – London College of Fashion.
- Joseph H Hancock II – Drexel University, USA.
- Vicki Karaminas – Massey University, New Zealand.
- Stella Bruzzi – University College London.
Deadline: 23 February 2018
Individual academic paper, panel contributions, round table discussion and Pecha Kucha presentation proposals are invited for the inaugural Fashion, Costume and Visual Cultures conference to be held at the University of Zagreb, Croatia, 17 – 19 July 2018.
Fashion, Costume and Visual Cultures is an international, interdisciplinary conference which aims to bring together established and emerging academics and practitioners in order to explore key issues, theoretical debates, new methodologies and case studies exploring fashion and costume design and their distinct, yet simultaneously symbiotic relationship within contemporary visual cultures.
Panel strands include, but are not limited to:
- Film, fashion and consumption
- Costume on screen (film, TV, new media)
- Fashion, style and popular culture
- Fashion and star-celebrity culture
- Fashion cities and street style
- Fashion branding, promotion and advertising
- Established and emerging fashion designers
- Costume designers and makers
- Costume and performance
- Skin as costume
- Costume and identities
- Digital fashion films
- Fashion & photography: advertising, editorial and fine art.
- Fashion on and beyond the catwalk
- Fashion and costume in the museum
- The blockbuster exhibition
- Fashion and art
- Fashion in painting, illustration and graphic design
- Fan cultures & pilgrimages
- Queer fashion
- Fashion and performance art
Throughout the conference there will be visits to arts and cultural venues, together with opportunities for networking and publishing. Presenters at Fashion and Costume in Visual Cultures will be encouraged to develop their papers for publication in a number of Intellect journals, including Film, Fashion and Consumption, and Fashion, Style and Popular Culture. Journal editors will be working closely with strand convenors and a full list of Intellect journals is available at: http://www.intellectbooks.com
Submissions for all strands will be subject to peer review. Proposals for individual presentations must not exceed 20 minutes in length, and those for panels limited to 90 minutes. Round table discussions, video projections, Pecha Kucha and poster presentations are welcomed in addition to formal academic papers.
Proposals comprising a 250-word abstract, your full name, affiliation, and contact details (as a Word .doc attachment) should be submitted to Sarah Gilligan (Hartlepool College, UK), Petra Krpan and Nina Katarina Simončič (University of Zagreb, Croatia) at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, the conference will be held in English.
Receipt of proposals will be acknowledged via e-mail.
Closing date for abstracts: 23rd February 2018
Please note: the conference has been arranged in co-operation with the European Popular Culture Association, so that delegates travelling long haul can also consider presenting papers at EUPOP 2018 in Prague (24-26 July 2018).