The 2023 annual conference, taking place at the site of the inaugural BAFTSS conference of 2013 at the University of Lincoln, takes as its theme ‘Sustainable Futures: Ethics, Responsibility and Care in Film, Television, Screen Studies and Practices’.
Recent years have seen academics and practitioners grapple with the ethical dimensions of film, television and screen studies and of screen media production, distribution and consumption. This includes efforts to address the various forms of environmental and personal harm caused by screen media industries, both now and in the past, and to imagine new ways of doing things. It also includes ongoing debates about the future of film, television and screen theories, histories and practices, their sustainability in the current higher education landscape (in the UK and globally) and their ethical obligations to be more inclusive, socially responsible and politically engaged.We invite proposals for papers and pre-formed panels on any aspect of the theme. Theoretical, historical and practice-based approaches are all equally welcome. Topics might include but are not restricted to:
- Environmental, democratic, ethical, social, economic futures in film, television and screen storytelling or representation
- Sustainable futures of the past: histories of screen reflections of sustainable discourses
- Sustainable futures and screen archives
- Theories and philosophies of sustainable, environmental and ecological filmmaking, representations and aesthetics
- Environmental sustainability in film, television and screen production
- Creative industries and the economic sustainability of current models of funding, distribution and exhibition
- Creating sustainable working environments in screen cultures: ethical creative labour
- Ethics of decolonizing and diversifying the discipline for a sustainable future
- Sustaining the discipline: what next for film, television and screen studies?
- The unsustainable academy? The impact of precarity, inequality and burnout on the future of Film, TV and Screen Studies
We are also inviting proposals for contributions to roundtables, which will take the place of keynotes as their more sustainable, egalitarian and dialogic alternative. Proposals should respond to the above or engage otherwise with the conference theme and should be aligned with one of the following topics:
- Ethical/inclusive labour practices
- Documentary ethics
- Sustainability of the discipline
Please indicate in your response which of the roundtables you are interested in contributing to.
Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 1 December 2022. Decisions will be sent out by 11 January 2023. We will aim to circulate a draft programme by end of January 2023.
The call for submissions for the PGR Research Poster Showcase is now open. Click here for more information. The deadline is 7 February 2023.
All delegates must have a current membership of BAFTSS at least one month prior to the annual conference. You can join here.
- Environmental degradation/depletion
- Natural resources
Organizing Committee: Hannah Andrews; Gábor Gergely; Jeongmee Kim; Chris O’Rourke; Thomas Sutherland; Clare Watson.